Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Oats Idly or Idly



The other day I prepared Oats Idli. I was very happy when it came out very well – soft, tasty and filling. In fact, it tasted almost like Rava Idly and hence, I feel if you do like Rava Idly, you will like Oats Idli. It should help make a good breakfast for your family. So, why Oats Idli on breakfast menu?
Idli are well known and well received, healthy, nutrition rich food. The Black Gram lentil or Urad Dal is protein rich and Idli itself is spice and oil-free. Doctors recommend going for Idli as an easily digestible healthy food during illness. Oats are known to heart friendly and rich in dietary fiber. The soluble fiber found in Oats is known to lower low-density lipoprotein (LDL) or bad cholesterol levels. Oats are also known to aid weight loss, reduce blood pressure, increase energy levels. So, when these two healthy foods come together, I can only imagine things turning out to be good (although, lentils are left out in Oats Idli but some of the protein content of lentils missing is compensated by its presence in Oats. Protein content in Oats is known to be higher than those in other cereals).
The other advantage with Oats Idli is that its preparation time is lot lower than normal Idli. No need to soak Dal or lentils for hours, prepare batter and then leave it to ferment overnight for 12 hours. Hence, like Rava Idli, Oats is instant preparation and hence the term Instant Oats Idli.
After my Oats Breakfast recipe became the most popular recipe on my blog, readers have been asking me for more Oats recipes. Hence, after Oats Upma, Oats Soup, now I am posting Oats Idli. I found its recipe in Sharmilee’s recipes blog. I admire her work a lot and do check out her post too for some step by step instructions on how to make Oats Idli. I made some small changes here – instead of Wheat Rava, I used normal white or medium sized Rava and used Green Chilli paste. Also, Instead of using Curd + Water, I used Buttermilk. We usually prepare Buttermilk at home daily, so I used sour Buttermilk. I added the Coriander Leaves to the batter directly without frying. It really came out well and my relatives who tried it out based on my instructions found equal success with it. Do try it out and let me know if you like it or post questions if you have issues.
Please update your comment if you like this aritcle  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks

Read More...